Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Whats in a name?

I have had many people ask me how to pronounce Eider's name and why we named him that...

Well, we pronounce his name "eye-der" and we actually named him after a rock climbing clothing company (for those who know us, it's fitting - ha ha - no pun intended) that we love! One day Jess and I were rock climbing and I had my Eider jacket on, and Jess looks at me, looks at the name and says "that would be a cool name for one of our kids!!" So there you have the story of how we came to name Eider--Eider!

Just an FYI: The name Eider is of Scandinavian origin - There is also a duck called the King Eider....and there is an Eider River in Germany, too.


I really didn't think his name would be such a big deal; almost everyone we run into gives us a funny face when we tell them what we named him. Both Jess and I thought it was a pretty cool name. I just hope that one day our choice of names won't come back to bite us!

1 comment:

  1. Hi! my name is Eider, and I'd like to add that that name is considered Basque, as femenine to Eder (beautiful). Anyway, I'd like to think it comes from the North of Europe.
    Here in the Basque Country it's pronounced not Eye-der but Ey-der (maybe you could read it A.-there?). I hope this was helpful!

    ReplyDelete