Thursday, August 14, 2008

Welcome Eider Davis Reed!

He's finally here!

After 18 hours of labor, and an emergency c-section, Eider arrived at 2:23pm on August 9th, 2008!

He was born a healthy 6 lbs. 5 ounces - wow! I thought he'd be a lot smaller ;) That big thing came out of me?!


Holy crap! was that ever an ordeal! It was a long hard labor, but I am so glad that Eider is safe and healthy with us now.

I went in labor late Thursday night, and after contratctions reached about 5 minutes apart, we drove to the hospital early Friday morning around 3 am. They checked us in and watched my progress, but to the disappointment of both Jess and I, they had to send me home because I just wasn't progressing enough and my contractions were too erratic to be admitted. Bummer! So I went home and labored all day long hoping the contractions would intensify and become closer to go back to the hospital. Around 7pm they finally reached 3 minutes apart...and hurt like hell, so off we drove back to the hospital.
We arrived there and because it was so busy, they had to stick us in a makeshift room that felt more like a broom closest than a delivery room. There Jess and I stayed for 4 hours trying to reach 4 cm so I could get an epidural. Those were the longest 4 hours of my life! There was terrible ventilation in the room so it was hot, it was small, and because the hospital was so busy, no one was attending to us...oh and those things called 'contractions'...ya! those really hurt!
Finally the nurse admitted us and moved us to a nice room with good A/C and a view of the mountains. At about midnight they gave me an epidural...those are a blessing from God! I felt so much better after getting that.
So Jess and I tried to get some sleep while I was having major contractions that night to see if I couldn't progress any further by morning...at 5 am they broke my water in hopes of speeding things up because I had only progressed a 1/2 cm in five hours. So we waited and waited...nothing....at 7 am they gave pittosum hoping that might work. Between 7am and 1pm I only progressed to 6 cm. Jess and I were devastated! Even though I had an epidural, my body was exhausted! I was hungry, fatigued and overwhelmed by how long my body was taking to deliver the baby.
Soon after they told us I was progressing very slowly, the baby's heart rate was dropping...with every contraction, the baby was becoming more and more stressed. Then they gave me the ultimatium for a c-section. They said they could take the baby now, and he would be healthy and safe, or I could continue trying to deliver him vaginally and risk complications with the baby.
At that point, all I wanted was to hold my baby, and make sure he was healthy and happy. So off I went to get the c-section. It was very emotional for all of us...I had hoped to have delivered the baby vaginally; idono, there was just something about doing it the 'natural' way that was appealing to me...but I couldn't risk my baby's health for 'trying to be tough' reasons.
It's a good thing I got a c-section too; when they pulled the boy out, he had turned his body upside down and the umbilical cord was wrapped around his neck twice...so every time I would have a contraction, he was choking...I'm grateful to live in an age where we can make these kind of decisions and save babies lives! Thanks to the smart doctors too.

I'm so very glad that is over! There was noting better than seeing my baby and hearing him cry! That made all of the pain worth it...I'd do it all over again! REALLY!


Look at those eyes!

A very tired, but happy daddy

Eider smiling while dreaming...what do babies dream about?

Oh no! I've gone cross eyed!


I think I was a little tired...?



Before I had Eider, I hated pregnancy...I was so miserable and unhappy! I really felt it was ruining my life. But I would do it over again a million times, just to hold that little baby in my arms and know that he is mine and Jess'! I'm so grateful to have my little eternal family now...it's all worth it! Every contraction, every moment of hopelessness...worth it!

I've never felt complete until the moment I became a mother...all doubts aside, it's the best thing to every happen to me!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness! He is so beautiful! Congratulations and I totally second you on the whole not becoming whole until you have children thing. And not to jump ahead or anything :), but I promise that the labors get a lot easier with each child!!!!

    ReplyDelete